Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Week 10- Math Journals- Keep Calm and Show Your Work!

Check out my new math t-shirt! I ordered it from TeacherShirts.com

Untitled

I thought I'd also show you a few examples of the Close Reading we have been doing in math. This year we have been getting Dynamath from Scholastic. So I decided to cut them apart and use them in the math journals. So we glue the passage on the top half of the page. Then at the bottom we draw the 4 boxes for the Close method we have been learning. Here is what we write in each box:
1. Numbers
2. Question
3. Key words
4. Solve and write a complete sentence to answer the question in box 2.

Untitled

Then on the opposite page I pose a question from the math fans I have. (see below)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Here are the math reflection fans I purchased on TpT. 
Untitled

I didn't want to print them in color so I just printed each category on different colored card stock. Then I put each color on a different ring and put them all together on a large ring. I choose a question and have my students write it in their math journal and respond. Then I choose select students to share and "tweet" about it on our Twitter door.

Untitled

Want to see the boxes I use for my students to create the 4 boxes on their paper in the math journal? Check out this post. 

This week in science we have been learning about the layers of the atmosphere and earth. Look at our flip books!

Untitled




Layers of the Earth

Untitled



Finally, I wanted to share the TWIRL posters I made. Our instructional coach shared this with us so of course I made some posters. :) If you want, feel free to use them too.

Untitled

Students: Do you think the close read strategy and questions help you solve word problems easier? Why or why not? Why is it important to write complete sentences in math?

12 comments:

  1. Yes it breaks down the problems so you can understand them and solve it. It's important to write sentences in math because it solves the problems.

    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. For me, it is easier to do the work, write the answer, and be done.
    Avery

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to write complete because It is organized. Avery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because you divide your info to solve the problem into 4 squares which makes it easy so yes.So it makes sense to you and everyone else if you were sharing your answer. by: LEXIE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,because it keep it organize the number from the problem,question,key word and the answer. So you understand the problem. Dyani

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes cause its easier when you put the #,question , key words , and solve . So you know it easier

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes because it brings you through the steps of the question. it is important because it helps others understand your answer. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  8. so you can understand it and the teachers so you wont mess up

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes cause it helps you solve the problem

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it does make solving word problems easier because it makes you read it four times which helps me to understand what the question is asking. Its important to write complete sentences in math because if you don't than the person reading it might not understand what you put as the answer for that question.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes,because it helps me understand how.


    from,jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes it help sme understand the question and the answer
    michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.