Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Week 14- Cell Cakes

This was a short week but we had a lot of fun! Today we made cell cakes. Parent volunteers sent in cakes for the students to use to create a cell. Each group had time to meet and decide what type of candy to bring to represent each organelle we learned about.

Cell cakes

As you can see, they had a lot of fun making their cells!

Cell cakes 2

Plant cell cake

Check out our completed cell cakes!

Cake 1
Cake 1


Cake 2
Cake 2


Cake 3
Cake 3

Cake 4
Cake 4


Cake 5
Cake 5

Turkey 1

We also drew a turkey using Activity TV's T is for Turkey.

Turkey 2

After they drew the picture I had the students write about their favorite Thanksgiving food. Mine was my mother in law's dressing!

Turkey 3

We also did a little something different with writing today. Normally teachers have students write what they are thankful for. I gave the students a topic and they had to tell me why they are thankful for that item.

Thankful for...

Some of the topics included shoes, band-aids, clocks, chairs, and fire drills.

Thankful for...

Thanks to Mrs. Reasner for sharing this activity! It was a different way to write about things we are thankful for.

Thankful for...

STUDENTS: Look at the pictures above and see what number your cake is. Tell us what number your cake is. Write about one of the organelles and the candy you used to represent it. What does that organelle do in a real cell?

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. My cake was cake 1. One of the organelles my team used was a nucleus.We used the nucleus as a gumball. The nucleus is the brain of the cell it has DNA. P.S Happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. our cake was number 3 we used hershy drops as the nucleus is the brain

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cake was #1. We used a gumball for the nucleus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cake was number 3. We used Gushers for the nucleus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our cake is cake 5. One of our organels was the nucleus.for the nucleus we used choclate chips. The nucleus is the brain it also has DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cell cakes! They are so creative! I am awarding you the Liebster Blog award. Check out my blog to find out more.

    Sarah
    Teaching Star Students

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.